Logistics and the environment
The logistics sector is subject to increasingly strict environmental requirements. Sustainable delivery is therefore indispensable within the growing e-commerce context. At VPD, we pay a lot of attention to this. We are at the forefront of this important transition within the transport and logistics sector:
- We are converting our fleet to zero emission vehicles, and are no longer investing in vehicles with a combustion engine. Already 20% of our fleet will be emission-free in 2022 and we are aiming to 80% by 2025.
- In 2023 we will start using our first 100% Electric Volta truck;
- We have developed a network of strategically located hubs. This allows us to start the last mile journey as close as possible to the end customer.
- We are working towards 100% emission-free home deliveries by 2025. By the end of 2022, 30% of our home deliveries will already by emission-free.
- We are members of the Green Deal.
- Our drivers are coached by DrivOlution on matters of driving style and consumption.
- Our planning tool calculates routes based on the shortest possible distance, so we don't drive too many kilometers, which enables us to save CO2.
- We follow the Sustainability Leadership Program at KU LEUVEN
Sustainable deliveries are also becoming increasingly important for consumers themselves. 61% of the Belgian population prefers an ecologically responsible delivery method for goods they buy online. 70% of them would even be willing to accept longer delivery times if it helps to protect the environment. The rise of deliveries using bicycles or cargo bikes is also welcomed by the respondents.*
This seems logical since road transport is one of the biggest causes of air pollution and greenhouse gas emissions in urban areas. At least a quarter of CO2 emissions in cities are caused by transport activities.
At VPD, we are fully switching to zero-emission deliveries. To make sure we meet everyone's demand, our fleet includes many different types of electric vehicles.
Would you like to learn more about our innovative operations?
*Figures from the survey conducted by the FPS Mobility and Transport in April 2021.
Urbeez, 100% electric city deliveries in Belgium and abroad
Urbeez is our subsidiary, which we created to bring goods and parcels to the end customer in urban areas in an efficient and ecological manner. Our Urbeez fleet consists of smartly designed e-cargo bicycles, and other electric vehicles which are practical, fast and have maximum payload, allowing us to guarantee a unique and high quality service.
Did you know that 33% of all urban deliveries could be made using electric vehicles?
As a specialist in city deliveries in Brussels, Ghent, Antwerp, Paris and other cities, we offer our services to all retailers. Our logistics spaces in the heart of the city are switching points that allow us to deliver any volume of parcels, at any time, and without access restrictions.
Urbeez is a new take on transportation in fast-growing cities facing increasing demands and new regulations to keep traffic out of the city.
Read more about our e-cargo delivery service and what we can do for you on www.urbeez.bike.
Volta, electric trucks for more sustainable cities
We have also joined the Volta Truck Pioneer Program. The Volta Zero is the world's first purpose-built 16-tonne all-electric truck designed for freight distribution in city centers. The Volta Zero is designed to be the safest commercial vehicle, with its ability to protect vulnerable road users and make a significant contribution to the future vision of zero-emission cities.
We are therefore extremely proud and enthusiastic to do our part and help to ensure cleaner cities. Our mission: reduce the impact of freight deliveries, reduce pollution, and improve our safety for the benefit of everyone.
VPD will be one of the very first owners of a 100% electric truck, to be produced in 2022.
To be continued…
European Green Deal, becoming the first climate neutral continent
We are proud to announce that we have joined the European Green Deal project. The aim of the project is to promote efficient and emission-free deliveries in cities.
As we have mentioned before, sustainable mobility is one of the main challenges cities are facing. Online orders are constantly increasing and are expected faster, which means that more kilometers have to be traveled to get packages to the end customer. As a delivery partner, VPD wants to organize this in a sustainable way.